Saturday, January 10, 2009

Ministering in Christ Part 1 "Commit your life to Christ"

The Great Commission
MINISTERING IN CHRIST
Part 1: Commit your life to Christ
Pastor Bruce A. Shields
House of Faith – www.PS127.org | www.TruthDigest.org


ANNOUNCEMENTS

6:00PM Evening Service at the church –

There will be a Memorial Service tonight for Grace’s Brother who passed away. All are invited to come and there will be a dinner afterwards, so if you come, please bring a dish to pass.

January 4th – Lynnette Higgins
January 11th – Deacon Kurt Ulman
January 18th – Walker Spriggs
January 25th – Grace Steadman
February 1st – Lori Ulman



WHERE WE ARE AT
† Spending Time with the Lord

† Growing in the Lord

† Maturing in Christ



New Series: Ministering in Christ


SERMON: Commit your life to Christ

INTRODUCTION

What is commitment to the Lord, and how do we obtain salvation and the freedom which is promised from the bondage of sin?


I. CONFESS, BELIEVE AND REPENT

Romans 10:8-15
8 But what does it say? "The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart," that is, the word of faith we are proclaiming: 9 That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. 11 As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame." 12 For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13 for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

14 How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15 And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"

NEXT WEEK: The Way to True Service

John 6:47-58 Explains Communion
47 I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life. 48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your forefathers ate the manna in the desert, yet they died. 50 But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which a man may eat and not die. 51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world."
52 Then the Jews began to argue sharply among themselves, "How can this man give us his flesh to eat?"

53 Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him. 57 Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your forefathers ate manna and died, but he who feeds on this bread will live forever."


Luke 13:1-9
1 Now there were some present at that time who told Jesus about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. 2 Jesus answered, "Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans because they suffered this way? 3 I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish. 4 Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them—do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem? 5 I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish."
6 Then he told this parable: "A man had a fig tree, planted in his vineyard, and he went to look for fruit on it, but did not find any. 7 So he said to the man who took care of the vineyard, 'For three years now I've been coming to look for fruit on this fig tree and haven't found any. Cut it down! Why should it use up the soil?'
8 " 'Sir,' the man replied, 'leave it alone for one more year, and I'll dig around it and fertilize it. 9 If it bears fruit next year, fine! If not, then cut it down.' "




II. THE LORD’S GRACE

A. WHAT IS GRACE?

Grace is what God gives to those who are seeking Him. It is time to repent from your sins. It is a time of overlooking for things you do not yet understand, and it is yours as long as you continuously seek the Lord, to grow in understanding and relationship with Him.


B. WHO RECEIVES GRACE?

James 4:6
But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."

This who humbly seek the Lord, will receive the Lord’s Grace!



C. WHY IS GRACE NECESSARY?

Titus 2:11
For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men.

This Grace FREES us from the bondage of sin…allowing us to grow closer to the Lord, regardless of our own lives and sins which otherwise would prevent us from approaching God.

This Grace comes from Christ and His sacrifice, which blots out our iniquities, making us Holy in God’s sight, and able to commune with the Father in heaven.

Because of Christ, when we accept the Lord Jesus Christ as our Savior, His grace is poured out on us, and we are freed from bondage to run to the Lord.



II Peter 3:9, 18
9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

18 But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever!



James 4:1-10
1 What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires that battle within you? 2 You want something but don't get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask God. 3 When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.
4 You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. 5 Or do you think Scripture says without reason that the spirit he caused to live in us envies intensely? 6 But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says:
"God opposes the proud
but gives grace to the humble."
7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.




Romans 6:22-23
22 But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.



III. ASSURANCE

Revelation 3:19-21
19 Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent. 20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me. 21 To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne.



CONCLUSION

Matthew 10:32, 38-42
32 "Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven.
34 "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn
" 'a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law -
36 a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.'
37 "Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38 and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
40 "He who receives you receives me, and he who receives me receives the one who sent me. 41 Anyone who receives a prophet because he is a prophet will receive a prophet's reward, and anyone who receives a righteous man because he is a righteous man will receive a righteous man's reward. 42 And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward."

† We disown Christ by not loving Him…we can only love Him by obeying His commands.
† The Sword is the Word of God.
† If you are truly committed to Christ, you will love Him more than any other.

NEXT WEEK: The Way to True Service
//------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- //------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------