Sunday, December 23, 2007

Part 20 - False Prophet

INTRODUCTION

Matthew 7:15 – 20 False Prophets

15 "Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thorn bushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

I. WATCH OUT FOR FALSE PROPHETS

a. Watch out, look for, be aware, you may be deceived.

b. False prophet – what is a false prophet?

i. 1 John 4:1-3 - Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

ii. 2 Peter 2:1-3 1 But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves. 2 Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute. 3 In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.

iii. 2 Corinthians 11:12-14 12 And I will keep on doing what I am doing in order to cut the ground from under those who want an opportunity to be considered equal with us in the things they boast about. 13 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, masquerading as apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.

c. Prophets ONLY teach;

i. Christ & the Word of God

ii. Prophecy only the end times according to the Word

iii. Prophecy judgment

iv. Prophecy Spiritual gain

v. Prophecy relationship with God

vi. They do NOT tell fortunes, lotto numbers, anything of earthly gain, etc…

II. THEY COME TO YOU IN SHEEP’S CLOTHING BUT INWARDLY THEY ARE FEROCIOUS WOLVES

a. They look like Christ followers

i. Matthew 3:11-1211"I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire. 12 His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor, gathering his wheat into the barn and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire."

ii. Matthew 13:24-26 – 24 Jesus told them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. 25 But while everyone was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away. 26 When the wheat sprouted and formed heads, then the weeds also appeared.

b. Inwardly they are ferocious wolves.

i. Satan comes to kill, steal & destroy. John 10:10

ii. Satan is a lion seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

iii. Everything takes place in our hearts…from sin to salvation

iv. There is no such thing as a Satan worshipper. He does not have worshippers or servants (other than fallen angels), as far as man is concerned, Satan only has trophies. Your soul is his gain.

III. BY THEIR FRUIT YOU WILL RECOGNIZE THEM

a. Them – those acting as followers of Christ.

b. Their fruit – Words, behavior & deeds.

c. We will recognize them – This is NOT judging, we are told not to judge those outside of the Church, for they are already condemned. This is RECOGNIZING so we may know who they are, and what we are to do with them. Witness salvation to them, pray for them, be cautious of them if necessary, and avoid if they refuse to listen to the Word of God.

d. Luke 9:5 “If people do not welcome you, shake the dust off your feet when you leave their town, as a testimony against them."

IV. DO PEOPLE PICK GRAPES FROM THORNBUSHES?

a. Grapes refers to receiving the New Covenant (wine)

b. Thorn bushes refers to those whom God has blinded.

i. Hosea 2:5 - Their mother has been unfaithful
and has conceived them in disgrace.
She said, 'I will go after my lovers,
who give me my food and my water,
my wool and my linen, my oil and my drink.'6 Therefore I will block her path with thornbushes;
I will wall her in so that she cannot find her way.

ii. Hosea 2:10 - no one will take her out of my hands.

c. Jesus is saying if God has hedged someone in with thornbushes, or blinded them to the truth, no one can take that person from God’s hand. You will not find grapes (those who will accept the New Covenant) among the thornbushes (those whom God has hedged in)

d. Figs among the thistles – Jesus is saying; for example the figs (Israel) could not be taken from the thistles. (Thistles represent the WORKS of men). Jews tried to WORK for salvation by the LAW, which only convicts and shows guilt. The Pharisees thought they accomplished this and often bragged of their WORKS. Many times Jesus had to rebuke them and their pride.

V. EVERY GOOD TREE BEARS GOOD FRUIT

a. Christ is that Good Tree, and we are branches from Him.

i. Romans 11:16 - If the part of the dough offered as firstfruits is holy, then the whole batch is holy; if the root is holy, so are the branches.

ii. John 15:5-8 - "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. 8This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

VI. EVERY TREE NOT PRODUCING GOOD FRUIT IS CUT DOWN AND CAST INTO THE FIRE

a. John 8:42-47 - 42 Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and now am here. I have not come on my own; but he sent me. 43 Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. 44 You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45 Yet because I tell the truth, you do not believe me! 46 Can any of you prove me guilty of sin? If I am telling the truth, why don't you believe me? 47 He who belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God."

b. Every branch not producing fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire.

CONCLUSION

John 15:1-4

1 "I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. 3 You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4 Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

No comments: