Sunday, April 7, 2013

From Acts to Revelation Part 69 – Paul's Defense



From Acts to Revelation
Part 69  – Paul's Defense
Pastor Bruce A. Shields
House of Faith Church | www.PS127.org | www.TruthDigest.org

INTRODUCTION
Leading up to today’s scripture, Paul had returned to Jerusalem, prompted by the Holy Spirit. He spoke with the Jerusalem council, and agreed to take the Nazarite Vow, in order to show the Jews he did not oppose the Temple, or the teachings of the prophets and Moses.

While in the Temple, Jews recognized and attacked Paul.

The Roman guards came and pulled Paul from the riotous crowd, the captain then allowed Paul to speak to the crowd, which caused another riot when Paul mentioned that God wanted the Word taken to the Gentiles.

After being imprisoned, the Guards discover Paul is a Roman Citizen, so the unbind him, and keep him in protective custody.

They Captain, needing to know what was causing the riots, took Paul to the Sanhedrin for questioning, however, another argument broke out, and the Captain decided to take Paul before a Roman Court.

Before taking Paul before Governor Felix, news came that the Sanhedrin was working with assassins to kill Paul. The Captain of the guard surrounded Paul with hundreds of guards and horsemen so that he could travel to Caesarea to be heard.

Week before last, we spoke about the Sanhedrin, and the High Priest Ananias bringing a Roman Lawyer with them, and speaking first all of the accusations against Paul.

Now it is time for Paul to defend himself.










SCRIPTURE REFERENCE
Acts 24:10-26
When the governor motioned for him to speak, Paul replied: “I know that for a number of years you have been a judge over this nation; so I gladly make my defense. 11 You can easily verify that no more than twelve days ago I went up to Jerusalem to worship. 12 My accusers did not find me arguing with anyone at the temple, or stirring up a crowd in the synagogues or anywhere else in the city. 13 And they cannot prove to you the charges they are now making against me.14 However, I admit that I worship the God of our ancestors as a follower of the Way, which they call a sect. I believe everything that is in accordance with the Law and that is written in the Prophets, 15 and I have the same hope in God as these men themselves have, that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked. 16 So I strive always to keep my conscience clear before God and man.

17 “After an absence of several years, I came to Jerusalem to bring my people gifts for the poor and to present offerings. 18 I was ceremonially clean when they found me in the temple courts doing this. There was no crowd with me, nor was I involved in any disturbance. 19 But there are some Jews from the province of Asia, who ought to be here before you and bring charges if they have anything against me. 20 Or these who are here should state what crime they found in me when I stood before the Sanhedrin— 21 unless it was this one thing I shouted as I stood in their presence: ‘It is concerning the resurrection of the dead that I am on trial before you today.’”

22 Then Felix, who was well acquainted with the Way,adjourned the proceedings. “When Lysias the commander comes,” he said, “I will decide your case.” 23 He ordered the centurion to keep Paul under guard but to give him some freedom and permit his friends to take care of his needs.

24 Several days later Felix came with his wife Drusilla, who was Jewish. He sent for Paul and listened to him as he spoke about faith in Christ Jesus. 25 As Paul talked about righteousness, self-control and the judgment to come, Felix was afraid and said, “That’s enough for now! You may leave. When I find it convenient, I will send for you.” 26 At the same time he was hoping that Paul would offer him a bribe, so he sent for him frequently and talked with him.

In today's scripture we will see;

1.      Just because you are doing what you are supposed to be doing in life, does not mean troubles, storms, accusations, etc..., won't come.

2.      However, if you are living accordingly, you should have no fear during these times, because the Lord is with you, and Truth is your defense.

3.      We will also see how, although one can hear the truth of Christ, have an understanding of Righteousness, Self-control, and Judgment, they may still walk away from forgiveness of sins, and a relationship with the Lord.

I.       PAUL'S DEFENSE – TRUTH
a.      Paul's defense against his charges was simply TRUTH
i.       If we are living according to scripture and God's instruction, we have nothing to fear when judged by others.

ii.    Keeping a clear conscience before God and man, when we live in truth, our life and actions will actually be our defense.


b.     When it was Paul's turn to speak, he says, “I will gladly make my defense.”
i.        11 You can easily verify that no more than twelve days ago I went up to Jerusalem to worship. 

ii.     12 My accusers did not find me arguing with anyone at the temple, or stirring up a crowd in the synagogues or anywhere else in the city. 

iii. 13 And they cannot prove to you the charges they are now making against me.


c.      Paul's Admissions
i.       14 However, I admit that I worship the God of our ancestors as a follower of the Way, which they call a sect. 

ii.    I believe everything that is in accordance with the Law and that is written in the Prophets, 15 and I have the same hope in God as these men themselves have, that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked.

iii.  16 So I strive always to keep my conscience clear before God and man.


d.     Because of Truth, Paul does not fear
i.       If we are doing what we know is right, then there is no reason to fear anything.
a.      17 “After an absence of several years, I came to Jerusalem to bring my people gifts for the poor and to present offerings18 I was ceremonially clean when they found me in the temple courts doing this. There was no crowd with me, nor was I involved in any disturbance. 

ii.    Paul knows that whatever is taking place, is because of God's Will, not judgment, because he knows he is doing what is right according to the Word.



II.   PAUL'S CHARGES TO THE ACCUSSORS
a.      Just as it was when Paul was falsely accused by the Sanhedrin, he turns the tables on to those who are really at fault.
i.       19 But there are some Jews from the province of Asia, who ought to be here before you and bring charges if they have anything against me. 

ii.     20 Or these who are here should state what crime they found in me when I stood before the Sanhedrin.

iii. 21 unless it was this one thing I shouted as I stood in their presence: ‘It is concerning the resurrection of the dead that I am on trial before you today.’”


b.     Paul makes it clear, he was not in the wrong, and expresses that if he was breaking any law, then let them show it.
i.       They could not, because Paul was not breaking any Roman law, or Jewish law.

ii.    Remember, the Truth of Christ and “The Way”, is that all of the scripture points towards Christ, and Jesus does NOT contradict scripture, rather, He simply fulfills it.


c.      Felix had a lot to think about
i.       He needed to keep peace in the land he ruled over for Caesar.

ii.    If Paul was a real trouble maker, he had to ensure the riots would end and peace would be kept.

iii. However, if the real trouble makers were the Sanhedrin, he would have to address that, because peace and control was the goal.




III.                        FELIX – FEAR & BRIBERY
a.      22 Then Felix, who was well acquainted with the Way, adjourned the proceedings.
i.       He ordered that Paul be kept under watch, but not imprisoned

ii.    and that his friends could see to his needs


b.     The scriptures say Felix was acquainted with “The Way”
i.       We find in verse 24, “24 Several days later Felix came with his wife Drusilla, who was Jewish. He sent for Paul and listened to him as he spoke about faith in Christ Jesus.”

ii.    It seems that Felix is sincere about hearing of Christ.


c.      Paul explains salvation to Felix
i.       vs 25, Paul reasoned about Righteousness
a.      meaning Paul explained how Righteousness can only come from Christ.

ii.    Paul explained of self-control
a.      how sin in this world lays hold of people

iii. and Paul explained the coming Judgment of sin
a.      The scripture tells us that Felix was in fear by this point. He had understanding, and was at a point where he could accept Jesus as His Lord.

b.     However, like many who hear the truth, understand it, and even tremble, says to Paul, “Felix was afraid and said, “That’s enough for now! You may leave. When I find it convenient, I will send for you.”


d.     The scriptures then say that Felix, at this same time, was hoping Paul would offer him a bribe.
i.       Wanting a bribe, Felix shows his heart, and this love of money was probably one of the reasons he would not give his heart to the Lord.

ii.    There is no record that he ever came to Christ.











CONCLUSION

1.      Just because you are doing what you are supposed to be doing in life, does not mean troubles, storms, accusations, etc..., won't come.

2.      However, if you are living accordingly, you should have no fear during these times, because the Lord is with you, and Truth is your defense.

3.      We will also see how, although one can hear the truth of Christ, have an understanding of Righteousness, Self-control, and Judgment, they may still walk away from forgiveness of sins, and a relationship with the Lord.


Want to learn more about Salvation and Getting Saved?    CLICK HERE!