Sunday, August 9, 2009

God's Spirit - Part 11 - Spiritual Fruit of Meekness

Our Great Commission
God’s Spirit
Part 11: The Fruit of Meekness
Pastor Bruce A. Shields
House of Faith – www.PS127.org www.TruthDigest.org


ANNOUNCEMENTS

6:00PM Evening Service at the church –
“Seminary Students will be preaching”

Monday 5:00PM Bible Study

Tuesday Women’s at Lori’s 5:00PM

Men’s on Friday at the church 8:00PM


WHERE WE ARE AT

† Maturing in Christ
† Understanding in Christ
† Love of God


This Series: God’s Spiritual Fruit

Previously:
The Fruit of the Spirit
The Fruit of Love
The Fruit of Joy Part I
The Fruit of Peace
The Fruit of Long Suffering (patience)
The Fruit of Kindness
The Fruit of Goodness
The Fruit of Meekness


TODAY’S SERMON: Our Great Commission
God’s Spirit
Part 11: The Fruit of Meekness

SCRIPTURE READING

Galatians 5:16-25

16So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. 17For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. 18But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.

19The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.


The Spiritual Fruit of Meekness

Introduction: Be meek as He is meek.

1. Spiritual Fruits: Characteristics which come from God’s Holy Spirit that dwells within every follower of Christ.

We have to decide as followers of Christ if we are going to produce God’s character in our lives (Spiritual Fruits), or our character (fruits of the flesh).

2. Meekness: Patient, submissive humbleness. Humility.


Illustration – Alex Haley “Turtle on a fence post”

Alex Haley, the author of Roots, has a picture in his office, showing a turtle sitting atop a fence.
The picture is there to remind him of a lesson he learned long ago: “If you see a turtle on a fence post, you know he had some help.”

Alex says, “Any time I start thinking. Wow, isn’t this marvelous what I’ve done! I look at that picture and remember how this turtle – me – got up on that post.”


3. We are commanded to show fruit in our walk.



Scriptural Background: Galatians 5:23
Matthew 11:29
Matthew 28:20
John 14:15
John 10:11
Titus 3:2
I Timothy 6:11
II Corinthians 10:1

Proposition: Every follower of Christ should produce Spiritual Fruit in their lives.

† We “DO”, but is it good fruit or bad? Who’s characteristics are we showing?

Transitional Sentence: Because of the commands given in the Word of God, every follower of Christ should be producing Spiritual Fruits in their lives.

I. Because the Lord is our guide. Matthew 11:28-31 “for I am meek.”

28"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."


a. Obey all that I command – Matthew 28:20

18Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

b. If you love me, you will obey my commands – John 14:15-21

15"If you love me, you will obey what I command. 16And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— 17the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be[c] in you. 18I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."

c. I am the good shepherd – John 10:14

14"I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me—


Illustration – Because the Lord is our guide, our shepherd, we must obey Him, and we must follow where He goes.


II. We are commanded. Titus 3:2 “follow after meekness”
a. Citizenship of a follower of Christ – Titus 3:1 & 2

1Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, 2to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and to show true humility toward all men.


Illustration – True humility and false humility


III. Commanded to follow. I Timothy 6:3-12 “follow after meekness”
a. Who is more meek than the Lord Himself?

3If anyone teaches false doctrines and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, 4he is conceited and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions 5and constant friction between men of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth and who think that godliness is a means to financial gain.

6But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. 8But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. 9People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. 10For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

11But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. 12Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses.


Illustration – Those who think godliness is a means to financial gain are gravely mistaken.

TV Evangelists
Missionaries
Cult leaders

We must follow after Christ, in His meekness. Obeying for the “right” reasons, in all humility, NOT for personal gain.

IV. His meekness, is our example. II Corinthians 10:1 “The meekness of Christ”
a. He is our example

Conclusion:
1. The Lord is our guide
2. We are commanded
3. His meekness is our example
//------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- //------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------