Sunday, March 8, 2009

Ministering in Christ Part 8 "Committing to the Lord"

The Great Commission
MINISTERING IN CHRIST
Part 8: Committing to the Lord
Pastor Bruce A. Shields
House of Faith – www.PS127.org | www.TruthDigest.org


ANNOUNCEMENTS

6:00PM Evening Service at the church –
“Seminary Students will be preaching”

WHERE WE ARE AT

† Maturing in Christ


This Series: Ministering in Christ

Previously:
Committing your life to Christ
The Way to True Service
Light of the World ~ How to be an effective Witness
The Leading of the Lord
Waiting on God
Importance of Obedience
Tithing

TODAY’S SERMON: The Great Commission
MINISTERING IN CHRIST
Part 8: Committing to the Lord









I. BE YE DOERS OF THE WORD

† James 1:21-22
21Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.
22Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.


+believe = committed to


† Acts 16:31

KJV - 31And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Literal meaning – And they said, “Commit yourselves to the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, and your house.”


Commitment Defined:

† the act of binding yourself (intellectually or emotionally) to a course of action;
† the trait of sincere and steadfast fixity of purpose;
† an engagement by contract



† Psalm 37:3-7
3 Trust in the LORD and do good;
dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.
4 Delight yourself in the LORD
and he will give you the desires of your heart.
5 Commit your way to the LORD;
trust in him and he will do this:
6 He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn,
the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.
7 Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him;
do not fret when men succeed in their ways,
when they carry out their wicked schemes.



† Romans 10:9-13
9That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. 11As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame." 12For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."


We must hear and respond


Revelation 3:20
20Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me. 21To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne.


II. SALVATION LIES IN THE REALM OF HEARING AND DOING

Believing (being committed to Jesus) and FAITH brings us salvation not works…


Hebrews 11:6
6And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.


Ezekiel 36:26-27
26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.


Romans 6:22-23
22But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. 23For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.


III. HEARING THIS WORD AND DOING IT WE WILL COMMIT TO THE LORD

Matthew 10:32, 38-42
32"Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. 33But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven.

8and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
40"He who receives you receives me, and he who receives me receives the one who sent me. 41Anyone who receives a prophet because he is a prophet will receive a prophet's reward, and anyone who receives a righteous man because he is a righteous man will receive a righteous man's reward. 42And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward."